Hello again!
Oh Grammy's. Robert Plant and Ms. Krauss eh? Was that last year? Interesting. That's good Hannah likes Coldplay. I most definitely approve. Especially their new CD. Jason Patterson hooked Elder Bliss and I up with some music- the Reflections of Christ album, the God's Army soundtrack and some Michael Webb. The Reflections of Christ album is amazing. I highly suggest that and the Joseph Smith Nashville Tribute.
Zone Conference was GREAT! In my interview President Sexton had me share one of my personal studies with him so I shared the one where I read Helaman ch. 14 and learned more about the ressurrection, repentance and "the second death." I always thought that the second death was just spiritual death as opposed to physical, but during that study I learned that the second death is a second spiritual death. Through Adam's transgresson we are all cut off from the presence of God both physically and spiritually. So when we were born we were spiritually dead, being cut off from God's presence. In this life we're supposed to repent and live the gospel of Jesus Christ so that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can avoid being cut off spiritually and physically (and permanently) a second time. Samuel the Lamanite explains in brief the importance of the resurrection. In 2Nephi chapter 9 we are told that "in our bodies we shall see God." In order to be in the presence of God AGAIN we need to first off have perfect bodies. We could be in God's presence in the Pre-Mortal Life as spirits because the transgression of Adam hadn't happened yet. Since it happened a redemption needed to take place, and that redemption happened through Christ so that we could avoid the second death. The teachings of Samuel the Lamanite is one of my most favorite parts of the Book of Mormon. All of the book of Helaman is pretty amazing in fact. I didn't ask President Sexton any doctrinal questions because I needed to ask him about our investigator Kerry who wants to be baptized but needs to see the Pres. Sexton first because she's on probation. That interview may happen this week.
I bought some new slacks last week because my waistline outgrew my blue slacks. I'm not sure how much is on that debit card. I'd better check. The slacks just cost like $22 though so I think I'm good. I need to dryclean my suits this week though because one of them smells funny and the other one has some white junk on it.
I was a little down last week because we weren't finding many new investigators. We worked really hard and knocked a bunch and put in our effort and prayed a lot. Yesterday we went on splits and I was with Elder McKinney. I decided we'd better go tract these apartments on California street. The blessings were poured on us yesterday. We found SEVEN investigators! We exceeded our goal for the week in under an hour. You will be found worthy for God's blessings if you are diligent and say lots of sincere prayers and maintain a strong desire for something to be accomplished.
During zone conference President Sexton explained the difference between having goals and having desires. We must not only set goals towards baptism; we need to have a strong DESIRE to baptize. We need to be thinking about baptism, praying for baptisms, dreaming about the work, etc. President Sexton also demonstrated teaching the Plan of Salvation in 15 minutes. Then he started a deeper doctrinal discussion about the Plan of Salvation. That was fun. Pres. Sexton started with the pre-earth life talking about intelligences and Heavenly Mother and then he talked about the Fall of Adam and how the Tree of Life is Jesus Christ Himself and so on. It was great. He also started talking about how gender is an eternal factor of identity. Speaking to us Elders he said "You are men. You have always been men. You will always be men. No matter what the world says about it you will always be men." It says something like that in the Family Proclamation. Then one of the Elders asked him the question that I know must have popped into all of our minds- the gay question. And Pres. Sexton gave the best answer I've ever heard in regards to same-gender attraction. He told us of an old Indian parable he was once told, where this Indian dreamed about two wolves. These two wolves were fighting to the death. The Indian wasn't sure which one would win so he asked and a voice told him - "THE ONE THAT YOU FEED." President Sexton said "It's true that from a very young age there are some that have an inclination toward homosexuality. But then again, at a very young age there are some that have an inclination toward being a liar. As a bishop and a stake president I've interviewed many brothers and sisters struggling with same-gender attraction. ALL OF THEM have told me that at one point early on they made a choice and did something to feed that desire."
So yeah. On my second companion and third transfer. Elder Bliss is a good Elder but sometimes he needs to be reminded that we can't be idle. And we can't go overtime on the dinner appointments. I have to take the initiative a lot. And since I know the area and the people better right now I do most of the planning. I'm like the Senior Junior Companion. Esta todo bien though. Buena Park's still "the place to be" as all the signs say.
Well Amalia Ramos should be bapized on Valentine's day! Prayers needed! I love you and have a happy Valentine's day! Thanks for the box full of pictures and candy and thanks Hannah for the cool book of drawings! I'll write you today! Have fun in St. George!
Nos vemos
Elder Tyler Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment