Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3rd, 2009 (Email)

Hello!

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun in Flaming Gorge!
Things are going good over here in Long Beach. Last week Elder Colón and I went to 4 Zone Leader Training meetings with all the zone leaders in the mission, the Assistants and President Bubert. The Church has put out a bunch of new material for all of the missions worldwide to start focusing on. They're trying to hammer a bunch of stuff into our heads from Preach My Gospel such as the Doctrine of Christ, the role of the Spirit in conversion, seeking personal revelation from prayer, the Book of Mormon, and church attendance-- and a bunch of other stuff. Each meeting was about 6 hours long. It was like an amazing mini MTC experience. It was fun getting to hear from President Bubert so many times. I feel like I've already had 6 Zone Conferences with him. I pretty much have. So even though my time working with him will be short I already feel very familiar with him and how he does things.
Elder Colón and I are working with a couple people in Compton that are preparing for baptism. I almost forgot how big of an issue co-habitation is with the spanish-speaking community. Everybody's living with their novios and novias. So we're trying to help some people become esposos and esposas. Did you know that "esposa", the spanish word for wife, also means handcuff? (same with husband.) So that gives you somewhat of an idea about how some people view marriage here. So we're helping a couple people learn how to live the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom so they can get baptized.
I'm going to get fat again. I've had a lot of rice, orchata, carne asada, jamaica, tortillas-- all that good mexican food. So good!
Hey, next time you go to the temple I challenge you to study King Benjamin's address in Mosiah chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5. Over one hundred elements of the temple can be found in those scriptures. At the very beginning of Mosiah chapter 2 the verses direct your attention to the temple. Everyone's gathered around the temple to listen to King Benjamin, with their families and their tents pointed toward the temple. So what the Book of Mormon's trying to do is say "Hey! Now start thinking about the temple!"
Well, I hope things are going well up there. I'm glad to hear Mom's leg is getting better. Sorry you can't run the half-marathon. Good luck Dad! And I hope you had a happy 12th birthday Hannah!
I'm planning on shipping my bike home. I don't have a car so I'll definitely need that. The office has some sort of a system set up-- I think it'll cost me about $50 to ship home. Right now my bike's still in the Assistants' apartment and it will probably stay there until I call the office to figure out how to ship it home. And yes, September 7th's the day. See you then!
Love,
Elder Lewis

Oh, a couple more things I was supposed to tell you. (Mom's questions)

My apartment is fine-- no cockroaches. We're in car and we get 1250 miles a month as Zone Leaders. And Elder Colón is an awesome Elder. His Puerto Rican accent is a lot of fun.
I have to go now-- there's other elders waiting to use this computer.
Cuídense!
Love,
Tyler

No comments: